B-WARM works to encourage dialogue and education about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues, increase the number of reconciling congregations, and stand in solidarity with all who have been excluded or marginalized by the Church.
Members come from United Methodist churches from across the Baltimore-Washington Conference. Some of us are members of reconciling congregations; many of us are not. We are LGBT and straight people.
B-WARM meets quarterly (on a Saturday), with a meeting in each region of the Conference every year. Meetings are from 10:00 am to noon, with refreshments starting at 9:30am. There is time for fellowship, worship, and work at each meeting. An annual meeting is held each year, normally in June, to elect the steering committee. Also, we are affiliated with the Reconciling Ministries Network.
The Baltimore-Washington Area Reconciling United Methodists seek to affirm lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and ensure the full participation of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities in the ministry and life of the United Methodist Church, particularly in the Baltimore-Washington Conference.
In pursuit of a fully inclusive and reconciled United Methodist Church that nurtures disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, BWARM will:
- Create and promote dialogue and education about the sacred worth of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons.
- Reach out to and affirm LGBT United Methodists and their friends, families and loved ones.
- Support and encourage congregations and individuals in the process of becoming reconciling.
- Act to change exclusive and discriminatory policies and practices in the Church.
- Stand in solidarity with all who have been excluded or marginalized by the Church and society.
- Work within the United Methodist Church
- Work within and support the Reconciling Ministries Network.
BWARM Steering Committee
Chair: Jan Lawrence, Foundry UMC in Washington, DC
Immediate Past Chair: Mittie Quinn, Dumbarton UMC in Washington, DC
Vice Chair: Vacant
Secretary: Marge Kumaki, Hughes Memorial UMC
Treasurer: George Kahl, Grace UMC in Baltimore, MD
Convenor: Rev. Nancy Webb, Grace UMC in Baltimore, MD
Communications Chair: T.C. Morrow, Foundry UMC in Washington, DC
Education Chair: Ellen Bachman, Metropolitan Memorial UMC
Member At-Large: Rev. Brian Jackson
Member At-Large: Rev. Rebecca Vardiman
Member At-Large: Rob Wright
Support BWARM through a financial contribution
BWARM is volunteer-led, but we do have expenses from time to time. Your support is greatly appreciated! Checks may be payable to Grace United Methodist with BWARM on the memo line and mailed to:
Grace United Methodist
5407 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
For more than a decade, BWARM has been active in the Baltimore-Washington conference. See what we've been up to over the years.